In order to activate your Roku streaming player or Roku TV™, it must be linked to a Rokucoms account. Your Roku account has information on which devices you own and which channels you have installed, as well as your preferences and settings. For instructions linking your Roku device, review the activation steps.
Activating your Roku device
- Follow the Quick Start Guide that came with your Roku device..
- Complete the on-screen instructions to connect your Roku device to the internet.
- Once connected, your Roku device may download new software.
- Your Roku device will then display a link code; e.g. “XD12G”
- Make a note of this link code and go to the website roku.com/link on your computer or mobile device.
- On the website, enter the link code and click Submit.
- If you see an error or get stuck on a specific step, learn how to resolve issues activating your Roku streaming device.
Important: You must complete ALL of the steps on the website before going back to your Roku device otherwise your Roku device will not be activated.
- Follow the instructions on the website to create a Roku account, or login to an existing Roku account.
- When creating a new Roku account, you will be asked to provide a payment method. The payment method allows you to purchase subscriptions to popular channels, rent or buy movies and TV shows, or make other purchases from the Roku Channel Store. Adding a payment method does not result in any charges to your account. You will only be charged after going through the additional steps required to make a purchase; e.g. when signing-up for a subscription, renting or buying a movie or TV show, or adding a channel from the Roku Channel Store.
- Most major credit cards and PayPal are accepted payment methods. Get more help if you are having trouble adding a payment method.
- If you wish to prevent unauthorized purchases, learn how to create a PIN for your Roku account.
- Once you have completed the activation process your Roku device will be ready to use.
- There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account.
- Roku does NOT charge for device activation.
During the activation process, you will be required to go to the website roku.com/link on your computer or smartphone and enter the link code displayed on your Roku device, e.g., “XD12G”. This article helps you troubleshoot any issues you might experience during the linking process.
I get an error when I enter the link code on the website
If you see an error after entering the link code, try entering the code a second time. There may have been a typing error or some other issue like a temporary network or system error.
If this does not resolve the issue:
- Go back to you Roku device, press the star button on your Roku remote and then select Get a new code.
- Once the new link code is displayed, return to roku.com/link and enter the new code.
I entered the link code, but my Roku device is stuck on the link code screen
Sometimes it can take a while to complete the activation process, so please wait a few minutes. If the Roku device continues to show the screen with the link code, try these steps:
- Make sure you have completed all the steps on the website in order to activate your Roku device.
Important: You must complete ALL of the steps on the website before going back to your Roku device. Otherwise, your Roku device will not be activated.